Wednesday, September 28, 2022

Staples of My Diet

 Fruit I can eat any fruit. However if there is any irritation at all, berries should be avoided because of the tiny seeds. Bananas are the star here. Bananas have tons of beneficial fiber as well as must needed potassium. Apples are great, but should be peeled during flare. I avoid canned fruit but use occasionally as long as they are free from corn syrup.

Vegetables  Avoid corn in all forms! No corn EVER! Any other vegetable, including potatoes, is fair game. Though vegetables should be cooked during flares. I do not use salad dressings due to many ingredients that can cause a flare, especially White Distilled vinegar which is derived from corn. I just use olive oil and balsamic or apple cider vinegar or lemon juice. 

Fish Fish in itself will never flare me. I avoid breading of any kind because of the gluten. Soy sauce is also glutinous. I use gluten free soy sauce or Bragg's Liquid Aminos. I also enjoy canned tuna and sardines, packs in water only.

Rice There are tons of different kinds of rice out there. Nice for when there is diarrhea. Check ingredients if this is boxed. Most are not good. Plain is best.Then season it yourself.

Cereal Most commercial brands contain gluten or corn. One exception is Chex rice or cinnamon. Oats are good as long as they are gluten free oats. Cream of rice is a good substitute for cream of wheat. There are a few granolas on the market that are gluten and corn free. I usually make my own to be sure of all ingredients.

Meat Chicken, steak, stew, pork...all good in their natural state. I keep them as plain as possible. No breading. No gravy. No soy sauce. No ketchup. No commercial barbecue sauce. Hamburger needs to be pure, no glutinous fillers. I also avoid most lunch meats. They often contain dextrose or maltodextrin, derived from corn.

Tofu Great for stir fry. I fry mine with gluten free soy sauce, olive oil and turmeric. Tastes like eggs.

Lentils and Split Peas I like them cooked and then mixed with rice. Great vegetarian protein.

Dairy Products While dairy won't actually flare me, I am lactose intolerant and it will cause tons of gas. I use Fairlife Lactose free milk. I like dairy free yogurts, especially Forager brand. I will eat cheese some times and just know I'll be gassy. 

Beans While they can make you gassy, they are a safe protein. I love chic peas in particular. Watch out for barbecue sauces as they contain vinegar and also corn syrup. 

Eggs All kinds are good, though avoid omelets in restaurants. They sometimes use premixed eggs and sometimes even pancake batter for a fluffy texture. I also avoid egg salad because of the mayonnaise which can contain both vinegar and corn syrup. I use Vegenaisse and make my own.

Gluten Free Bagels Most brands are terrible. The only brand I like is Against the Grain.

Gluten Free Waffles Van's is a good choice.

Oil Basically any oil except corn oil.

Nuts and Seeds All good. Though seeds should be avoided during a flare.

Wine and Brandy I avoid all grain alcohol including beer.

Chocolate In pure form, most chocolate is safe. Though I can not eat nougat or caramel. Nothing gooey. No truffles. 

Of course there are many other foods I can eat. Going grocery shopping is an adventure. The key is to find foods that are both gluten and corn free as well as free from gluten and corn derivatives.

#crohns #cornfree #glutenfree #dietforcrohns #cancrohnsbecured #foodasmedicine

#crohnsflare #naturalcureforcrohns #Whatcanieatwithcrohns 




No comments:

Post a Comment