Saturday, July 18, 2009

Making Substitutions

It's important for me to enjoy a fairly normal diet. While I have had to give up many of my favorite foods, others were just a matter of substitution. Many times I only had to switch brands. Reading labels is the most important thing that I do. I look for key words. If I see these ingredients I pass it up. See below, "things I avoid". Here are some of the substitutions that I make on a daily basis:

instead of------------------------------------- use this
white vinegar --------------------------------apple cider vinegar
mayonaise------------------------------------ vegenaise
pancake syrup --------------------------------pure maple syrup
Campbell's tomato soup --------------------Amy's tomato soup
pasta------------------------------------------ gluten free rice noodles
regular soda pop ----------------------------Virgil's real cola
soy sauce -------------------------------------Bragg's liquid aminos
baking powder -------------------------------Featherweight baking powder

Please feel free to write comments, questions or suggestions:
Lynne1408@earthlink.net

2 comments:

  1. I love Amy's Soups! They have real, simple ingredients and are so tasty!

    I've never heard of vegenaise - where do you get it? I would love to try it...

    Thanks for the list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I buy my Vegenaise at my local co-op health food store. You might be able to find it on line, but it was located in the refridgerated section. But I'm sure that the manager would be able to help you out.

    And Amy's is the best! I also eat the Amy's rice crust pizza and the Amy's rice noodle lasagna. Both are really good. Also love the vegetarian lentil soup. I don't know why the other companies have to add all the other stuff to their products. Simple really is better!...........Lynne

    ReplyDelete