Saturday, July 3, 2010

Cookouts

The summer is now upon us. It is the season for grilling out and getting together for cookouts and cook-ins. Remember, the way that I have beat Crohn's is to avoid all corn, wheat, gluten and their derivatives. What to avoid: corn on the cob, potato salad, coleslaw, processed hot dogs. Safe things to eat are pure burgers, lots of fresh fruits and Hebrew National hot dogs. The salads are unsafe as they usually contain vinegar, a big corn derivative. Of course these salads could be made with Veganase and apple cider vinegar. The Veganase can be found at some health food locations. I get mine from out local Co-op. It's no fun to go to a get-together and avoid certain things. I also feel very inhibited asking my host/hostess all the ingredients in their foods. Most people are very willing to let you know everything in their recipes and may even change their recipes to fit your needs. It takes minutes to eat, but days or weeks to recover from a flare. I'd rather be very very sure what I'm eating.

No comments:

Post a Comment