Monday, March 1, 2021

Making Substitutions: Soy Sauce

 Soy Sauce

Regular soy sauce is full of gluten. Many people who decide to go gluten free will give up the breads, bagels, cereals etc. But forget about sauces made with soy sauce. Gluten is found abundantly in this delicious condiment. And who doesn't love asian cooking?

 Solution (two actually): Gluten free soy sauce (Also known as Tamari) or Bragg's liquid aminos. I use both depending on availability. They taste very similar to me. Once they are mixed in with sauces and food, there is no difference.

Why these fit in with my diet to keep my Crohn's in remission: I avoid all gluten and corn. Regular soy sauce, with all its gluten would put me in a flare

This is why I must avoid all sauces and mystery seasonings. Unless I make it myself or know ALL the ingredients, I avoid it. 

So if you are bothered by Chinese take out, it may be a hint that it is actually the gluten in the soy sauce that upsets your stomach.

Some Chinese restaurants (PF Changs for one) offer gluten free sauce. I also occasionally get Chinese food without sauce. Just steamed vegetables with plain meat. But I also make sure that there is no starch on the meat. All that said, I usually make it myself to be 100 percent sure. 

Bonus, here's my recipe for Corn and Gluten free Sichuan beef:

https://howibeatcrohns-lynne.blogspot.com/search?q=sichuan




No comments:

Post a Comment