Saturday, February 27, 2021

Making Substitutions : Ketchup

 In order to keep myself in remission from Crohn's, I avoid all gluten and corn in my diet. I also avoid all derivatives of gluten and corn, including corn syrup and white vinegar. The most important thing I had to do was to give up condiments, such as ketchup, mayo and mustard.  Condiments contain white vinegar or corn syrup. Most commercial ketchups contain both.

Fortunately found this natural ketchup at Whole Foods. Tastes almost like regular ketchup except slightly less sweet and a bit more tangy. Noble Made uses apple cider vinegar instead of white distilled. Also they do not use corn sweetener. Commercial ketchup, BTW, is about 1/3 sugar. Actually that's corn syrup. 

I also found a few more brands that were also free from vinegar and corn syrup. Will try in the near future. Had these with scrambled eggs. Nice treat!





No comments:

Post a Comment