Friday, June 28, 2019

Corn and Corn Derivatives

In order to keep my Crohn's from flaring, I eat a corn free and gluten free diet. By following this diet, I keep myself from flaring and stay healthy.

It's really important that I avoid all sources of corn, but corn can be found everywhere! Foods like corn itself, corn flakes, corn meal, corn starch... basically anything with the word 'corn' in it. But corn comes in many different forms as derivatives, and most can be difficult to recognize.

Below are some of the most common foods containing corn that most people would not consider:
  • Baking powder (mixed with corn starch)
  • Distilled white vinegar
  • Grits
  • Hominy
  • Ketchup (vinegar and corn syrup)
  • Maize
  • Marshmallows (corn syrup)
  • Mayonnaise (vinegar and corn syrup)
  • Mustard (vinegar)
  • Pickles (vinegar)
  • Powdered sugar (mixed with corn starch)
  • Relish (vinegar)
  • Pepsi (corn syrup)
  • Zein

Below are some of the most common corn derivatives I avoid in order to stay in remission:
  • Corn meal
  • Corn starch
  • Corn syrup
  • Maltodextrin (can be a derivative of corn and/or gluten)
  • Modified food starch (often modified with corn starch)
  • MSG
  • Sorbitol
  • Splenda
  • Xanthan gum

For some of these, substitutions can be found. Sometimes I can find condiments that use real sugar and apple cider vinegar instead of corn syrup and white distilled vinegar. I have had to become a label reader.

Sometimes, I can find substitutions for some of the foods I love that contain corn. Some condiments are made with real sugar instead of corn syrup. Other vinegars, such as apple cider vinegar are safe for me to eat and sometimes products will use this instead of distilled white vinegar. At this point in time, I have become an expert at label reading.

I use powdered sugar in some of my baking, but I buy Wholesome Sweeteners Organic Powdered Sugar. This brand  is great because it is mixed with tapioca starch instead of corn starch and taste just as good.

For baking powder I use Featherweight brand where they use potato starch.

I like to drink Pepsi Cola Throwback, made with real sugar instead of high fructose corn syrup. I also drink seltzer water with a little lemon or lime in it.

For pancakes and french toast, I use %100 real maple syrup. It's important for me to avoid commercial brands which usually add corn syrup.

I also like to use Dandies Original Vanilla Marshmallows - Vegan. These use real sugar instead of corn syrup.

Sugar substitutes, such as aspartame, are also derived from corn. Personally, I prefer to eat real sugar in moderation instead of taking a chance with artificial sweeteners. Please note: diabetics still need to watch their sugar intake and I am not advocating eating sugar for them. These decisions should be made with a doctor.

I have to be very careful in the gluten free section of my grocery store. Gluten free does not mean corn free and I have to avoid both gluten and corn. Unfortunately, a lot of gluten free products will contain corn to make them more tasty. Always read the labels!!! There are still plenty of gluten free products available that are also corn free.

No comments:

Post a Comment