Tuesday, August 4, 2020

Black eyed peas with basmati rice

Fabulous dinner last night. A slight variation of typical beans and rice. I started with basmati rice and steamed it with turmeric and a bit of margarine. I like the texture of basmati. It separates nicely and doesn’t have that sticky texture. Then I simmered the black eye peas with fresh kale, tomatoes, curry powder, margarine, salt and pepper. Topped it all with fresh diced sweet onion and avocado.

All of these ingredients are in compliance with my diet that controls my Crohn's and keeps it in remission. All of the spices are pure, meaning no corn starch.

Any rice is good, I just prefer the texture of basmati.

I bought the beans precooked and frozen. Some canned beans may contain dextrose. Dextrose is a sugar that can be derived from corn. I avoid corn in every form. It seems like a small amount but it makes a difference. Always check the label on canned beans.


No comments:

Post a Comment