Saturday, February 13, 2021

Fermented Foods for Gut Health

 The main thing that I do to keep my Crohn's in remission is to avoid all corn and gluten, and all corn and gluten derivatives. But there are many things that I like to add to my diet which are very healthy for my colon. These are fermented foods. These foods contain live organisms that help our gut to digest foods and  keep a nice balance. These foods include yogurt, kefir, kimchi, sauerkraut, tempeh and miso.

Yogurt. Most of us are familiar with the benefit of yogurt. Kids love it. Great for bone health. Portable. And maybe a bit easier to digest than milk for those who are lactose intolerant. However I usually only get plain as many commercial brands contain corn starch or maltodextrin (A gluten derivative, derived from barley, which is glutinous).

Kefir. Basically a drinkable yogurt. Comes in many yummy flavors. Can be used as a base in smoothies. Again I watch that the other ingredients are not corn or gluten derivatives.

Kimchi. (see picture below) Some hate it but I LOVE it. Basically fermented and rotten cabbage and spices. If you can get past the smell its delicious. Plan to stay home for the night if you eat this.

Sauerkraut. Great summer food. The sourness comes from the good bacteria. It's important to read the label for ingredients. Most sauerkraut is based in vinegar. I get mine at farmer's markets, made with cabbage and salt only.

Tempeh. A meat substitute. Nicer texture than tofu. Can be sliced or crumbled depending on the recipe. Good for quick stir fries. Some tempeh contains barley. Barley has gluten. 

Miso. Fermented soybeans that is used to flavor soups, stews and stir fries. 






No comments:

Post a Comment