Sunday, February 21, 2021

What I Eat: Hummus

 Hummus. Creamy and flavorful. Healthy. Contains the good fats plus lots of fiber and protein. Makes a nice vegetarian meal by itself or as a side dish or appetizer. Great with any vegetable for dipping. Also good for gluten and corn free chips, such as Siete grain free products. 

Why this fits in with my diet: I am gluten and corn free, as well as gluten and corn derivative free. Hummus is made primarily of chic peas (Garbanzo), olive oil, lemon juice, garlic and tahini (sesame seeds). I watch out for added starches or vinegars. White distilled vinegar is derived from corn and will send me into a flare. I also like the ease of getting a ton of veggies into me. 

I like to top mine with Zahtar (a mixture of spices including marjoram, thyme, sesame and sumac), olive oil and paprika. Always check the Zahtar label for added starches. 

I usually buy Sabra brand hummus. They don't add any starches or vinegars.

You can also make your own. Here's a link to a simple recipe I found online:

https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/hummus/





No comments:

Post a Comment