Friday, July 2, 2021

How I Survive Cookouts

 Going to someone's house for a cookout can be a blessing! However it can also be dangerous for those of us with food sensitivities. Remember, the most important thing about cookouts is not the food, but the company we keep. Here are some things I do when attending a cookout:

1. hamburgers without the bun are generally safe when pure. I always ask the host if they added any fillers or seasonings to the meat. Lookout for soy sauce, ketchup and bread crumbs

2. Safe hot dogs are Hebrew National Brand. Not the low-fat however since they add starch. Of course, no bun.


3. If a hamburger bun is needed, I use Against the Grain brand. It does contain cheese so it may lead to some gas.

4. Condiments in general are unsafe. They contain corn syrup and white distilled vinegar. Both are big no no's for me. I have found some safe alternatives made with real sugar and apple cider vinegar. Read labels carefully. You can bring your own condiments or eat them plain.





5. No Corn. Grilled corn is delicious but not worth the pain.

6. Soy sauce is full of gluten. Use Bragg's Aminos or a gluten free soy sauce instead.

7. Most side salads are dangerous since they usually contain mayo or white vinegar. No coleslaw, egg salad or potato salad. I stick to raw veggies and fruit salad.

8. Soda pop contains either high fructose corn syrup or sugar substitutes which are derived from corn. I stick with the natural sodas made with real sugar, seltzer or water.

9. I make s'mores using Dandies marshmallow and Kinnikinnick graham crackers. Just as delicious.

10. For those who drink alcohol, wine and brandy are safe for me. No beer or grain alcohols.

11. Usually no dessert is safe unless it is specifically gluten and corn free. Safest to bring your own. Jello is generally safe before the add ins.

12. Sometimes I bring my own snacks or a protein bar just in case there is literally nothing to eat. I also eat something before I go so hunger won't drive me to eat something I shouldn't eat.

Safe Cookouts! Enjoy the company, the fresh air and the fireworks!

#crohns #beatcrohns #naturalcurecrohns #foodasmedicine #crohnsflare #eatingforcrohns #dietforcrohns
#crohnsdiet #glutenfree #cornfree #kinnikinnick 

















No comments:

Post a Comment